The Lickey Hills Local History Society


Home
About the LHLHS
Programme
Time Line - coming soon
Churches
People
Schools
Military Activity
War Memorials
Publications
Links
Contact Us

Parishes and Churches

The Lickey Hills straddle several ancient parishes, which have evolved with the changes of settlement over time. The original parishes include the whole of the small parish of Cofton Hackett, and parts of Alvechurch, Bromsgrove, Kings Norton, Northfield, Frankley and Belbroughton.

Bromsgrove
Ancient Parish.
Also included a chapelry at Kings Norton, which had a separate identity early and was a separate Ecclesiastical Parish by 1846. Additional Ecclesiastical boundary changes: 1755 to create Wythall Ecclesiastical Parish; 1766 to create Moseley Ecclesiastical Parish; 1844 to create Catshill Ecclesiastical Parish; 1885 to help create The Lickey Ecclesiastical Parish; 1875 to create Bromsgrove All Saints Ecclesiastical Parish.
Archdeaconry & Diocese of Worcester until 1921, Archdeaconry of Dudley & Diocese of Worcester (1921 - *)
Churches: St. John the Baptist, Jct. Kidderminster Rd. & St. John's Street

Cofton
Chapelry in Northfield Ancient Parish. It had separate civil identity early and was a separate Ecclesiastical Parish in 1866. Ecclesiastically refounded in 1871
Archdeaconry & Diocese of Worcester until 1919, when transferred to the Archdeaconry & Diocese of Birmingham
Churches: St Michael and All Angels

Northfield
Ancient Parish.
Including a chapel at Cofton Hackett, which had separate civil identity early. Cofton Hackett was a separate Ecclesiastical Parish in 1866 and was ecclesiastically re-founded in 1871. Northfield was abolished civilly in 1912 entirely to Birmingham Civil Parish (which was associated with Warwickshire) and Ancient Parish. Additional ecclesiastically boundary alteration: 1966 - to help create West Heath Ecclesiastical Parish
Archdeaconry & Diocese of Worcester until 1905, Archdeaconry & Diocese of Birmingham (1905 - *)
Churches: St.Laurence, Church Hill

Barnt Green
Ecclesiastical Parish
Barnt Green is in Worcestershire, but the Diocese of Birmingham. It was created in 1922 from The Lickey Ecclesiastical Parish.
Churches: St Andrews, Sandhills Road. Baptist. Society of Friends.

Blackwell
Churches: St Catherineís. Holy Trinity Methodist

Catshill
Ecclesiastical Parish.
Created in 1844 from Bromsgrove Ancient Parish. In 1895 it was included in the civil parish of North Bromsgrove.
Archdeaconry & Diocese of Worcester until 1921, Archdeaconry of Dudley & Diocese of Worcester (1921 - *)
Churches: Little Catshill Baptist Chapel. Catshill Baptist chapel, Catshill Methodist Sunday School, Christchurch, Stourbridge Road. Baptist. Methodist

Fairfield
Ancient Parish.
Fairfield was a chapel of ease to Belbroughton
Archdeaconry & Diocese of Worcester until 1974, Archdeaconry of Dudley & Diocese of Worcester (1974 - *)
Churches: St Markís.

Lickey
Ecclesiastical Parish.
Created in 1858 from Bromsgrove Ancient Parish & Catshill Ecclesiastical Parish
Archdeaconry & Diocese of Worcester until 1905, when transferred to the Archdeaconry & Diocese of Birmingham
Churches: Holy Trinity

Rednal
Ecclesiastical Parish.
Created in 1957 from Rubery Ecclesiastical Parish
Archdeaconry & Diocese of Birmingham
Churches: St. Stephen the Martyr, Edgewood Rd.

Rubery
Ecclesiastical Parish.
Created in 1933 from The Lickey Ecclesiastical Parish. Boundary alteration: 1957 - to create Rednal Ecclesiastical Parish
Archdeaconry & Diocese of Birmingham
Churches: St Chadís. Chadwich. Society of Friends. United Reform Church.


Webmaster, webmaster@lhlhs.org.uk